Weather Alert – U. S. Embassy Ljubljana
Event: Flooding and Possible Landslides. The Civil Protection and other natural disaster relief services are preparing for more flooding and landslides. Weather alerts for heavy rain have been issued for much of the country
The Slovenia Environment Agency (ARSO) issued a red alert for the north-west of Slovenia and an orange alert for the rest of the country, with an increased risk of landslides.
Areas of potential flooding include:
· Rivers in the Soča Valley, in the Sora drainage basin, as well as in the upper and middle courses of the Sava River.
· The Vipava and Savinja valleys and in the Koroška region.
· The Drava River.
· The sea may flood the coastal area with high tide on Thursday night.
· Bača River valley.
· The rest of the country also has the potential for flooding.
Actions to Take:
· Exercise extreme caution when traveling on roads, expect delays and detours, and do not attempt to traverse areas of standing or moving water.
· Seek secure shelter.
· If you reside in a flood-prone area, it is recommended you move valuables from your basement and below ground-level areas of your residence.
· Review the measures suggested by the Slovenian Civil Protection and Disaster Relief.
Slovenia Emergency Call Center: Dial 112 for emergency medical assistance, fire-fighters, veterinary assistance, rescue units.
Slovenia Police: Dial 113
U.S. Embassy Ljubljana, Slovenia
386 (1) 2005500
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates