Step 1. Check the Validity of Your Passport
Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States, unless exempt by country-specific agreements. If more than one person is included in your passport, each person who needs a visa must submit a separate application.
Step 2. Complete the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160
- Completed Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160
Please note that you must answer EVERY question on the application forms. If the answer to a question is “none,” please write “none”(Do not leave it blank). Incomplete/incorrect forms will be returned and will require you to schedule a new interview appointment.
Important! Many of our visa applicants are completing the DS-160 incorrectly, causing us to postpone their planned visa interview dates.
Step 3. Prepare Documents for your Interview
- Proof of Slovenian citizenship or residency in Slovenia, if applicable
- Form DS-160 confirmation page
- passport photo – 2”×2” (5×5 cm) against a white background and without glasses, not older than 6 months. There are several photo studios close to the Embassythat are familiar with our passport photo requirements.
- stamped, self-addressed A5 padded envelope, with €2.66 in Slovene postage stamps (two “c” class stamps) that we will use to return your passport via registered mail. If you do not have a residence in Slovenia we can mail it to your nearest Slovenian post office, but we cannot mail it outside of Slovenia.
- Cash (euro or dollar) for the Application Fee. If you are not a Slovenian national, you may need to pay a separate issuance (reciprocity) fee, using either cash or a credit card. For these issuance fees, see Reciprocity Schedule by Country.)
Additional documents may be requested to establish if you are qualified. For example, additional requested documents may include evidence of:
- The purpose of your trip;
- Your intent to depart the United States after your trip; and/or
- Your ability to pay all costs of the trip.
Note: Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant’s residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a nonimmigrant tourist visa.
Step 4. Schedule an Interview Appointment
You can make an appointment online with us. Bring the confirmation page to your appointment. If you have urgent travel (e.g. study or business, but not tourism) and you need to travel to the U.S. before the next available appointment slot, contact us via email at LjubljanaVisa@state.gov.
If a member of your family is under the age of 14 or over age 80, that family member does not need to appear in person at the Embassy. You can simply drop off that person’s application at the time of your own visa appointment.
Step 5. Interview at the Embassy
Bring the documents and cash stated in Step 3.
On the day of your appointment, come to the Embassy chancery at:
Prešernova 31, Ljubljana
The U.S. Embassy does not provide parking but there is paid street parking in the neighborhood. Public bus stops are also close by. Arrive a few minutes prior to your scheduled appointment to allow time for security screening. Cell phones may be stored at the gatehouse during your interview but other electronics, along with large bags, are prohibited. Only the applicant is permitted entry; contact the Embassy if you require special assistance or an interpreter if you do not speak English, Slovene or Serbo-Croatian.
When you are inside the Consular waiting room you will pay the required fees, and provide digital (ink-free) fingerprints. During your visa interview, a consular officer will determine whether you are qualified to receive a visa, and if so, which visa category is appropriate based on your purpose of travel. You will need to establish that you meet the requirements under U.S. law to receive the category of visa for which you are applying. The consular officer will let you know at the end of your interview if your visa is approved. For approved visas, the passport will be returned via mail in the envelope you provided.