How to Apply

Student Visa (F-1/M-1)

Before you can apply at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate for an F or M student visa, you must first apply to and be accepted by a SEVP approved school. Visit the Department of Homeland Security Study in the States school search page to search for SEVP-certified schools.

When you are accepted by the U.S. school you plan to attend, you will be enrolled in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). You must pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee. The U.S. school will provide you with a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1/M-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students (Form I-20) to present to the consular officer when you attend your visa interview. If your spouse and/or children intend to reside with you in the United States while you study, they must obtain individual Form I-20s, but they do not pay the SEVIS fee. Visit the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) website to learn more about SEVIS and the SEVIS I-901 Fee

Exchange Visitor Visa (J-1)

Before you can apply at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate for a J-1 visa, you must first apply for and be accepted into an exchange visitor program through a designated sponsoring organization. Visit the Department of State J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program website to learn about program requirements, regulations, and more.

When you are accepted into the exchange visitor program you plan to participate in, you will be enrolled in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Most J-1 Exchange Visitors must pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee. After your program sponsor enters your information in the SEVIS system, a SEVIS-generated Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status (Form DS-2019) is provided to you. All exchange visitors, including their spouses and minor children, must be registered in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Each person receives a separate Form DS-2019. Visit the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) website to learn more about SEVIS and the SEVIS I-901 Fee.

In addition to the Form DS 2019, participants in the J-1 Trainee and Intern categories require Form DS-7002 (based on Box 7 on Form DS-2019). Learn more about the Trainee and Intern programs.

Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States, unless exempt by country-specific agreements. If more than one person is included in your passport, each person who needs a visa must submit a separate application.

  • Completed Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160

Please note that you must answer EVERY question on the application forms. If the answer to a question is “none,” please write “none”(Do not leave it blank). Incomplete/incorrect forms will be returned and will require you to schedule a new interview appointment.

Important! Many of our visa applicants are completing the DS-160 incorrectly, causing us to postpone their planned visa interview dates.

All Student Visa (F-1/M-1) and Exchange Visitor Visa (J-1) applicants should collect the following:

  • Proof of Slovenian citizenship or residency in Slovenia
  • Proof of COVID Vaccination or an exception noted on our Visa page
  • A valid passport
  • DS-160 confirmation page
  • passport photo – 2”×2” (5×5 cm) against a white background and without glasses, not older than 6 months.  There are several photo studios close to the Embassy that are familiar with our passport photo requirements.
  • stamped, self-addressed A5 padded envelope, with €2.66 in Slovene postage stamps (two “c” class stamps) that we will use to return your passport via registered mail.  If you do not have a residence in Slovenia we can mail it to your nearest Slovenian post office, but we cannot mail it outside of Slovenia.
  • Cash (euro or dollar) for the Application Fee.  If you are not a Slovenian national, you may need to pay a separate issuance (reciprocity) fee, using either cash or a credit card.  For these issuance fees, see Reciprocity Schedule by Country.)

NOTE: U.S. government sponsored exchange visitor (J visa) applicants and their dependents are not required to pay application processing fees if participating in a Department of State or other Federally funded educational and cultural exchange program which has a program serial number beginning with G-1, G-2, G-3, or G-7 printed on Form DS-2019. U.S. government sponsored exchange visitor (J visa) applicants and their dependents are also not required to pay applicable issuance fees.

In addition, if you are required to pay the Student/Exchange Visitor (SEVIS) fee, this must be paid online prior to your visa interview.

Additional Documents – Student Visa (F1/M1) Applicants:

  • Original I-20 issued by the school

Additional documents may be requested to establish if you are qualified. This could include:

  • Transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from schools you attended
  • Standardized test scores required by your U.S. school
  • Evidence of how you will pay all educational, living and travel costs.
  • Evidence of your intent to depart the United States upon completion of the course of study

Additional Documents – Exchange Visitor Visa (J1) Applicants:

  • Form DS-2019 (and for those in Trainee or Intern categories, Form DS-7002

Additional documents may be requested to establish if you are qualified. This evidence could include:

  • The purpose of your trip
  • Your intent to depart the United States after your trip
  • Your ability to pay all costs of the trip

Again, we are interviewing Slovenian citizens and residents of Slovenia who meet the COVID vaccination rules to travel to the United States.  If you do not meet these requirements your appointment will be cancelled.  You can make an appointment online with us.  Bring the confirmation page to your appointment.  If you have urgent travel (e.g. study or business, but not tourism) and you need to travel to the U.S. before the next available appointment slot, contact us via email at

If a member of your family is under the age of 14 or over age 80, that family member does not need to appear in person at the Embassy.   You can simply drop off that person’s application at the time of your own visa appointment.

New Students – F-1 and M-1 student visas can be issued up to 120 days in advance of your course of study start date. However, you will not be allowed to enter the United States in F-1 or M-1 status earlier than 30 days before your start date.

Continuing Students – May renew their visas at any time, as long as they have maintained student status and their SEVIS records are current. Continuing students may enter the United States at any time before their classes start.

Exchange Visitors – Exchange visitors beginning new programs may not enter the United States more than 30 days before their program start date.

Bring the documents and cash stated in Step 3.

On the day of your appointment, come to the Embassy chancery at:

Prešernova 31, Ljubljana

The U.S. Embassy does not provide parking but there is paid street parking in the neighborhood.  Public bus stops are also close by.  Arrive a few minutes prior to your scheduled appointment to allow time for security screening.  Cell phones may be stored at the gatehouse during your interview but other electronics, along with large bags, are prohibited.  Only the applicant is permitted entry; contact the Embassy if you require special assistance or an interpreter if you do not speak English, Slovene or Serbo-Croatian.

When you are inside the Consular waiting room you will pay the required fees, and provide digital (ink-free) fingerprints.  During your visa interview, a consular officer will determine whether you are qualified to receive a visa, and if so, which visa category is appropriate based on your purpose of travel. You will need to establish that you meet the requirements under U.S. law to receive the category of visa for which you are applying.  The consular officer will let you know at the end of your interview if your visa is approved.  For approved visas, the passport will be returned via mail in the envelope you provided.