Immigrant Visas: Returning Resident Visa

A permanent resident (called lawful permanent resident or LPR) or conditional resident (CR) who has remained outside the United States for longer than one year, or beyond the validity period of a Re-entry Permit, will require a new immigrant visa to enter the United States and resume permanent residence.  You can learn more about Returning Resident Visas on

If you are a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR), your I-551 card, also known as a “green card,” is evidence of your legal status in the United States.  The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is the organization that issues green cards.  Unfortunately, USCIS does not have an office at the U.S. Embassy in Ljubljana.

The USCIS Field Office in Rome, Italy has jurisdiction over U.S. immigration matters for residents and visitors to Slovenia.

Please see their website ( for information on their location, what services they offer and how to make an online appointment.  Please contact us directly if you have lost or had your green card stolen for information on what assistance we may be able to provide.