Slovenia has created an office to assist Ukrainian nationals fleeing Ukraine. See Slovenian government assistance to Ukrainians.
Temporary refugee in the United States
- The United States has created a streamlined system for Ukrainians fleeing the war to come to the United States for up to two years. See the U.S. Department of Homeland Security page, “Uniting for Ukraine” for full instructions. There is no need to contact the U.S. embassy.
Pending Immigrant Visa Applicants:
You may have a pending Immigrant Visa application based on:
- Immediately family in the United States who have filed a petition for you
- A U.S.-based employer who has filed a petition for you
- Your selection in the Diversity Visa program
The U.S. Government will try to expedite those cases that are ready for immediate processing. The U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt, Germany has been designated to process Immigrant Visa cases that had been scheduled at the U.S. Embassy in Kyiv. If you are currently in Slovenia and wish to have your case transferred to the U.S. Embassy in Ljubljana, please contact the U.S. Embassy in Ljubljana. (Note that the U.S. Embassy in Ljubljana is very small, with limited processing capacity.) If you are an American Citizen overseas who has not yet filed a petition for your spouse, child, or parent, but wish to do so, please contact the U.S. embassy in the country where you are physically present with your family to inquire regarding possible local filing of your petition.
Nonimmigrant Visa Applicants:
This category is for short-term trips to the United States such as for study, business, or family visits. For those seeking temporary refuge, see above regarding “Uniting for Ukraine”
- If you have already paid the visa application fee at another U.S. Embassy such as in Kyiv: U.S. visa fees paid to apply in a specific country cannot be transferred to another country. You would need to pay the fee again.
- If you do not speak English or Slovenian you will need to provide your own interpreter.
- There are no “walk-up” appointments. To request a Non-Immigrant visa appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Ljubljana, send an email with proof that you are in Slovenia, along with proof of your COVID vaccination.
For more information on the above, see the U.S. Department of State page on Information for Nationals of Ukraine.