Voting is Now Easier Than Ever Before:

Now all U.S. citizens can electronically receive their blank ballots. Depending on the state in which you are eligible to vote, you may get your ballot by email, download from the internet. You just need to go to Federal Voting Assistant Website, complete a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), print and sign the form, and return it to your local election office in the United States.  Include your email address to make it easier for the election officials to reach you if there is a problem We recommend U.S. citizens living overseas get in the habit of completing a new FPCA each January, as states are no longer required to automatically send ballots to voters.  If you need assistance completing the FPCA, or prefer to use the postage-paid printed version, please contact the Embassy via email (

Voting Eligibility

Almost all U.S. citizens 18 years or older who reside outside the United States are eligible to cast an absentee ballot in federal elections. Some states allow overseas citizens to vote in state and local elections, as well as for state and local referendums. You can find specific information regarding each state, by selecting your state on the left hand side of the Federal Voting Assistance Website homepage For voting purposes, your state of legal residence is generally the state wherein you resided immediately before leaving the United States, even if you no longer own or rent property or intend to return there in the future.  Some states even permit registration if your parents lived there, even if you did not.  Direct your questions about eligibility to your local election officials once you have selected your state of residency.

Receiving Your Blank Absentee Ballot

Blank ballots will be sent out 45 days before a general election and 30 days before primary, special and run-off elections.  Most states now have voter registration verification websites and many offer a means of tracking the status of your registration and ballot.

Voting and Returning Your Ballot

Complete your ballot carefully and legibly, and return it to your local election officials before your state’s ballot receipt deadline. Send it back as early as possible. Overseas voters have a number of options for returning voted ballots:

  • Local mail – You can mail it yourself through the Slovenian Post. Just remember to purchase sufficient international postage.
  • U.S. Embassy – You can drop off your ballot request or voted ballot at the Embassy and we will mail it back for you. It must be addressed to your local election officials and be in a postage-paid envelope.
  • Fax, Email, or Internet – A number of states now allow the electronic return of voted ballots. Consult the Federal Voting Assistance Program’s Voting Assistance Guide for electronic transmission options for your state.
  • Express Courier Service – If time is short, you may want to consider using a professional courier service such as FedEx, DHL, or UPS.

Using an Emergency Write-in Ballot

Don’t be a passive voter and wait for a ballot that may not reach you in time. If you followed all the right steps but still haven’t received your ballot, you should submit a Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB), which can be found once you select you state or here. Write in the candidates of your choice, print it, sign it, and send it to your local election officials. If your regular absentee ballot arrives later, fill it out and send it back too. Your FWAB will be counted only if your regular ballot doesn’t reach your local election officials by your state’s deadline. Following this procedure will not invalidate your vote or result in two votes being cast.

Voting and Taxes

Voting for candidates for federal offices does not affect your federal or state tax liability. Voting for candidates for state or local offices could affect your state tax liability. Consult legal counsel if you have questions.