Victims of Crime

The State Department is committed to assisting U.S. citizens who become victims of crime while abroad.  We help in two ways:

  • Overseas: consular officers, agents, and staff work with crime victims and help them with the local police and medical systems.
  • In the United States: our office of Overseas Citizens Services will stay in touch with family members in the United States, and help provide U.S.-based resources for the victim when possible.

If you are the victim of a crime overseas:

  • Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate:
    • Consular officers are available for emergency assistance 24 hours/day, 7 days/week.
    • Contact information for U.S. Embassies and Consulates overseas can be found here or by going to our individual Country Specific Information pages.
    • To contact the Department of State in the U.S. call 1-888-407-4747 (from the U.S. or Canada) or (202) 501-4444 (from overseas).
    • Contact the local police to report the incident and get immediate help.  Request a copy of the police report.

The crime rate in Slovenia is very low, but it is not zero, and American visitors or residents can become victims.  The U.S. Embassy in Ljubljana has staff on call 24 hours a day to help Americans in trouble.  During working hours, call the Consular Section at 01 200 5595. (from the U.S., dial 011-386-1-200-5595).  After working hours, call 01 200 5500 (from the U.S., dial 011-386-1-200-5500) and press 0 (zero) and ask to be connected to the Duty Officer.

We will assist you in managing the practical consequences of being a crime victim and provide you with information about accessing the criminal justice system.

Call the Police

To call the police anywhere in Slovenia, dial 113.  Just like calling 911 in the United States, 113 will connect you to the nearest police communications center.  Police stations usually have staff members who speak English. The police will take your statement about the incident and conduct an investigation.

Resources for Violent-Crime Victims in Slovenia

Victims of crime in Slovenia can obtain psychological counseling from medical and social work organizations.  For more information, please see the website of the Slovene police (in English).

Resources for Violent-Crime Victims in the United States

Whether or not you decide to pursue your case through the Slovene judicial system, you may be eligible for victim compensation and assistance resources in the United States.  Nearly half of U.S. states have crime victims’ compensation programs that cover out-of-pocket expenses such as medical, counseling, and lost wages for eligible residents who become victims of crime outside the United States.  The specific requirements and services vary from state to state.  Information can be obtained through the state crime victims program in your state of residence.  Contact information for all state compensation programs can be found on the National Association of Crime Victim Compensation Boards website.

For more information: