Social Security

Applying for a Social Security Number

The Federal Benefits office at our U.S. Embassy in Rome can assist with applications for a social security number (SSN).  You would need to provide them via mail a completed SS-5 Application for a Social Security Card (PDF 233 KB), along with a certified photocopy of your U.S. passport (and for a minor, also a certified copies of the parents’ passports).  Note that for newborn children, you must first obtain a U.S. passport before applying for the SSN.  The U.S. Embassy in Ljubljana can provide these certified copies for free; simply make an appointment for a Notarial Service.

Social Security & Other Federal Benefits

In February 2019, the United States and Slovenia signed a social security totalization agreement.  The agreement addresses taxes on both sides related to retirement, disability & survivor benefits  – what we call Social Security.  Some of the main benefits:

  • American workers now pay into social security for just one country instead of both.
  • When it comes for payment of benefits, Americans and Slovenians can combine years worked in the two countries.

Here is the complete U.S.-Slovenian agreement in English.  (PDF 1 MB)  If you have questions about your U.S. social security benefits, you may contact the Federal Benefits office at our U.S. Embassy in Rome.  For questions about Slovenian pension benefits, see their website:

For other Federal Benefits, see the U.S. Department of State page on Federal Benefits.