Passport Renewal for a Child (under age 16)
We would be happy to help you renew your child’s U.S. passport. Note that if you are age 16-17, you should follow the instructions for a adult renewal passport. If you are outside of Slovenia, see our main Passport page.
Step 1: Assemble all documents
- Complete the passport application form using the electronic passport wizard, print the DS-11 form, and bring it to the interview. Please do not sign the form until you are at the Embassy, in front of the consular officer.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship, such as:
- Proof of identity, such as:
- a valid passport of any country; or
- a valid national identity card with photograph
- Evidence of parental relationship (such as a birth certificate or adoption decree)
- Evidence of parental consent if both parents are not present with government-issued ID. (See Children under 16 for more information on parental consent.)
- One passport photo –2”×2” (5×5 cm) against a white background and without glasses. There are several photo studios close to the Embassythat are familiar with our passport photo requirements.
- The fee for a passport book for a minor is US $135. We accept U.S. dollars or euros, payable in cash or by credit card. (If you are also applying for a passport card, used primarily when crossing the Canadian or Mexican borders, the card for a minor is an additional $15.)
- An A5 padded envelope (podložena kuverta) with €2.66 in Slovene postage stamps (two “c” class stamps). We will mail back your passport via registered mail to your home in Slovenia or a Slovenian post office. (If you are also applying for a U.S. passport card, please provide two envelopes, as the passport card will arrive 2-3 weeks after the passport book.)
Step 2: Make an Appointment
All passport services are handled by appointment only, on our online calendar. Your child, even a newborn, must appear in person at our office. There are no exceptions possible for this requirement, sorry.
Due to security procedures, we are only able to admit visitors who have business with the consular section, their minor children, or a companion to provide necessary physical assistance. We are not able to admit other visitors without prior special arrangement. If there will be someone accompanying the primary applicant please email us and provide the name of the primary applicant, the names of anyone accompanying the primary applicant, and the date of the appointment. Third party attendance at Passport and CRBA appointment interviews (click here).
Step 3: Appear at the Embassy
For your interview, please do not bring large bags/suitcases, nor large electronic devices, such as laptop computers or tablets, as they are not allowed within the Embassy.