Minor First-time Passport
We would be happy to help you apply for your child’s U.S. passport. If you are outside of Slovenia, see our main Passport page. Please note that if your child has been issued a diplomatic, official, or no-fee military passport within the past 10 years you are not considered to be a first time applicant — please refer to our page on renewing a passport.
If the child was born outside the U.S. and has not yet been issued a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, first see our page on Birth of a Child. You can apply jointly for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad and a passport. Below are the instructions just for the passport.
Step 1: Assemble All documents
For your passport appointment, please prepare the following items BEFORE you come to your appointment. All documents must be originals. All birth, adoption, marriage, death or divorce certificates must bear an original seal, stamp or signature. All documents not in English or Slovene must be accompanied by a certified translation.
Complete the passport application form using the electronic passport wizard, print this DS-11 form, and bring it to the interview. Please do not sign the form until you are at the Embassy, in front of the consular officer.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship:
- Evidence of parental relationship (such as a birth certificate) and evidence of parental consent if both parents are not present with government-issued ID. (See Children under 16 for more information on parental consent.)
- One passport photo – 2”×2” (5×5 cm) against a white background and without glasses. There are several photo studios close to the Embassy that are familiar with our passport photo requirements.
- The fee for a passport book for a minor is US $135. We accept U.S. dollars or euros, payable in cash or by credit card. (If you are also applying for a passport card, used primarily when crossing the Canadian or Mexican borders, the card for a minor is an additional $15.)
- An A5 padded envelope (podložena kuverta) with €2.66 in Slovene postage stamps (two “c” class stamps). We will mail back your passport via registered mail to your home in Slovenia or a Slovenian post office. (If you are also applying for a U.S. passport card, please provide two envelopes, as the passport card will arrive 2-3 weeks after the passport book.)
Step 2: Make an Appointment
All passport services are handled by appointment only, on our online calendar. Your child, even a newborn, must appear in person at our office. There are no exceptions possible for this requirement, sorry.
Due to security procedures, we are only able to admit visitors who have business with the consular section, their minor children, or a companion to provide necessary physical assistance. We are not able to admit other visitors without prior special arrangement. If there will be someone accompanying the primary applicant, please email us and provide the name of the primary applicant, the names of anyone accompanying the primary applicant, and the date of the appointment. Third party attendance at Passport and CRBA appointment interviews (click here).
Step 3: Appear at the Embassy
For your interview, please do not bring large bags/suitcases, nor large electronic devices, such as laptop computers or tablets, as they are not allowed within the Embassy.