We will be happy to assist you with applying for a replacement passport. Before coming to the Embassy, it is a good idea to report the loss/theft to the nearest police station. Filing a police report will assist you if someone else finds your passport and tries to use your identity.
All full-validity passports are printed in the U.S. and are mailed by courier service back to the Embassy. It typically takes between 7 to 10 working days for us to receive a passport. In emergency cases, we may be able to issue a limited-validity passport here at the Embassy.
If you are driving to Ljubljana from Italy, Austria, Croatia, or Hungary, please make sure you stop at the border and purchase a vignette for your car. Using Slovene highways without a valid and properly-displayed vignette in a vehicle is considered a violation of the law; drivers may be fined between EUR 300 and 800.
Step One: Assemble all the Documents
For the Embassy to replace your passport, we will need to verify your citizenship and identity. If possible, please be prepared to submit a photocopy of your lost/stolen passport, your U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or Naturalization Certificate. We also will need some proof of your identity such as a foreign passport, a national identity card, a driver’s license, a military ID card, school ID card, etc. If you are traveling and have copies of these items back in the States, please ask a family member of friend to scan them and send them to us by email or fax at +386-1-200-5535.
Step Two: Make an Appointment
Step Three: Appear at the Embassy
On the day of your passport appointment, please bring the following items with you to the Embassy (in addition to the documents listed above):
- Completed Passport Application Form DS-11. Please do not sign the form until you are at the Embassy, in front of the consular officer.
- Completed Statement regarding Lost/Stolen Passport form DS-64
- One passport photo – 2 by 2 inches (5×5 cm) against a white background and without glasses. There are several photo studios close to the Embassy that are familiar with our passport requirements – if you would like the contact information, please email us.
- Police report if you have one.
- Proof of emergency travel, if applicable, such as plane tickets, hotel reservations, etc.
- The fee for a passport is US$135 and for a passport card is US$30. We accept U.S. dollars or euros, payable in cash or by credit card. The fee in euros fluctuates with the exchange rate, so please contact the Consular Section at ACSLjubljana@state.gov for the current rate if you plan to pay in euros.
Once your passport has been printed in the States and couriered to the Embassy, you can either pick it up in-person or we can mail it to an address in Slovenia. If you prefer the mailing option, please bring us an A5-sized padded envelope (podložena kuverta) with €1.15 in Slovene postage stamps affixed to it. Please note that we only mail documents within Slovenia. If you live in Italy, Croatia or Austria, you will either need to pick up the documents at the Embassy or use a friend’s address in Slovenia for the mail. If you have emergency travel plans, please consult with the Consular Officer at the time of your interview.