Adults applying for First Time Passports
We would be happy to help you apply for a U.S. passport. If you were born abroad and never documented as a U.S. citizen, please see our page on Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship through Birth Abroad. If you are outside of Slovenia, see our main Passport page.
Please note that if you have been issued a diplomatic, official, or no-fee military passport within the past 10 years you are not considered to be a first time applicant — please refer to our page on renewing a passport.
Step 1: Assemble All documents
For your passport appointment, please prepare the following items. All documents must be originals. All birth, adoption, marriage, death or divorce certificates must bear an original seal, stamp or signature. All documents not in English or Slovene must be accompanied by a certified translation.
Proof of U.S. citizenship, such as:
- a previous expired U.S. passport from when you were a minor. We will cancel and return your existing passport during processing so that you still have proof of citizenship/identity
- original long-form U.S. Birth Certificate; or
- original U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad; or
- original U.S. Naturalization Certificate or Certificate of Citizenship; or
- Evidence of acquisition of U.S. citizenship through birth abroad to a U.S. citizen; your U.S. citizen parent should complete the DS-5507 Affidavit of Physical Presence or Residence, Parentage, and Support and sign in the presence of a consular officer or U.S. notary.
Proof of identity, such as:
- a valid passport of any country; or
- a valid driver’s license with photograph; or
- a valid national identity card with photograph; or
- a valid U.S. military ID card.
If you no longer use the name on your birth certificate, we will need proof of name change, such as:
- your marriage certificate; or
- adoption decree; or
- a court order; or
- Three pieces of acceptable identification listing your current name that were issued within the past five years. Acceptable pieces of identification may include: school records, U.S. tax records, military records, driver’s license, federal/state/local government card, foreign passport, etc.
Required documents for all applicants. Please make sure you have the following items BEFORE you come to your appointment:
- Complete the passport application form using the electronic passport wizard, print this DS-11 form, and bring it to the interview. Please do not sign the form until you are at the Embassy, in front of the consular officer.
- One passport photo – 2”×2” (5×5 cm) against a white background and without glasses. There are several photo studios close to the Embassy that are familiar with our passport photo requirements.
- The fee for a passport book for an adult is US $165. We accept U.S. dollars or euros, payable in cash or by credit card. (If you are also applying for a passport card, used primarily when crossing the Canadian or Mexican borders, the card for an adult is an additional $30.)
- An A5 padded envelope (podložena kuverta) with €2.66 in Slovene postage stamps (two “c” class stamps). We will mail back your passport via registered mail to your home in Slovenia or a Slovenian post office. (If you are also applying for a U.S. passport card, please provide two envelopes with postage, as the passport card will arrive 2-3 weeks after the passport book.)
Step 2: Make an Appointment
All passport services are handled by appointment only, using our online calendar. Please make an appointment.
Due to security procedures, we are only able to admit visitors who have business with the consular section, their minor children, or a companion to provide necessary physical assistance. We are not able to admit other visitors without prior special arrangement. If there will be someone accompanying the primary applicant, please email us and provide the name of the primary applicant, the names of anyone accompanying the primary applicant, and the date of the appointment. Third party attendance at Passport and CRBA appointment interviews (click here).
Step 3: Appear at the Embassy
For your interview, please do not bring large bags/suitcases, nor large electronic devices, such as laptop computers or tablets, as they are not allowed within the Embassy.