Passport Services

The U.S. Embassy is located at Prešernova 31 in Ljubljana.  The Consular Section is open daily to the public from 9:00 to 11:30 a.m. and from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. You may get general information by calling (+386 1) 200 55 00 between 2:00-4:00 PM on Monday and Wednesday.  If you have a specific question outside those hours please send us an email at For after-hours emergencies involving American citizens, please call (+386 1) 200 5500, press 0 and ask to be connected to the Duty Officer.  All passport and notarials are handled by appointment only.  And please check our holiday schedule to ensure that we are open on the date you plan to come to the Embassy.

If you need passport assistance and your circumstances are not covered by the information on our website, please send us an email with the specifics of your situation and we will be happy to assist you.

All full-validity passports are printed in the States and mailed by courier service back to the Embassy.  It typically takes between 7 to 10 working days for us to receive a passport.  In emergency cases, we may be able to issue a limited-validity passport here at the Embassy.  Please contact our office by email  if you have emergency travel plans.

As there is only one passport officer in Ljubljana, before coming to the Embassy to apply for a passport, please make an appointment using our online calendar.

Third party attendance at Passport and CRBA appointment interviews (click here).

If you are driving to Slovenia from Italy, Austria, Croatia, or Hungary, please make sure you stop at the border and purchase a vignette for your car.  Using Slovene highways without a valid and properly-displayed vignette in a vehicle is considered a violation of the law; drivers may be fined between EUR 300 and 800.  For more information, please see our page on Driving & Auto Accidents.

We would be happy to help you renew your U.S. passport. Instructions for renewing vary according to the condition of your current passport, when your current passport was issued and your age. Click here for further instructions for adult and children renewals.


Lost & Stolen Passport Information

If you have urgent travel plans, please e-mail us at:


Minor Applicants Information.

If the child was born outside the U.S. and has not yet been issued a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, please see our page on Birth of a Child.