Covid 19 update:
- If you are overseas and your passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, you may be able to use your expired passport to return directly to the United States until December 31, 2021. See this page for more information.
- At your appointment: bring proof of your vaccination (for those over age 15). If you are not vaccinated and over age 15, bring one of the following:
- proof of positive test between 10 days and 6 months old (recovery from COVID)
- negative rapid antigen test not older than 48 hours
- negative PCR test not older than 72 hours.
- Please wear a mask to your appointment at the Embassy
Passports services are by appointment only. (We cannot receive applications via mail.)
Full-Validity Passports: All full-validity passports are printed in the United States and mailed by courier service back to the Embassy. We will cancel and return your existing passport during processing so that you still have proof of citizenship/identity. The Embassy will then mail the new passport to you at your home address in Slovenia (or a Slovenian post office where you can pick it up.) You should receive your new passport within two weeks of applying.
Emergency Passports: In emergency cases, we may be able to issue a limited-validity passport printed here at the Embassy. Emergency U.S. passports are recognized by most, but not all countries. Please contact our office by email if you have emergency travel plans and then follow the instruction links below for the appropriate Regular Passport Service.
Applicants who reside outside of Slovenia: You must have a valid (unexpired) passport before entering Slovenia. A U.S. military ID is not sufficient; U.S. military personnel stationed in Europe should apply at the passport office on the base where they are located. Persons entering Slovenia without a valid passport face fines of 500 euros or more. Moreover, because the Embassy will cancel your existing passport, you would not have means to travel back to a neighboring country during processing unless you possess a foreign passport or residency card for that country. Finally, your new passport will be mailed to a Slovenian residence or post office. Any applicants who reside outside of Slovenia should email the Embassy before making an appointment, confirming they understand the above.
Please click on one of the below options to prepare your application.
Regular Passport Service
- Adult First-time Passport
- Adult Renewal Passport (age 16+)
- Minor First-Time Passport
- Minor Renewal Passport (under age 16)
Special Passport Services