Criminal Record Checks for U.S. Citizens

U.S. citizens who are applying for a Slovene residence permit will need to submit an FBI clearance as proof that they have no criminal record in the United States.

Step 1: Any U.S. citizen can apply directly to the FBI for a criminal history search. The first step is to download the FD-258 fingerprint card and application form from the FBI website.  You can then get fingerprinted at the” Nacionalni forenzični laboratorij” at Vodovodna 95, Ljubljana.  There is no fee for this service but an appointment is required.  Appointments are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9:00 a.m. only.

To make an appointment, please email us at and include your full name, date of birth, nationality, reason for fingerprints. We will email the forensic lab with your information, then we will reply to your email with the phone number for you to call the lab directly and schedule your appointment. Appointments are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9:00 a.m. only.

Make sure to bring your passport and the fingerprint form with you to your appointment. It may also be possible to arrange for fingerprinting services through your local Policijska uprava–Oddelek kriminalistične tehnike.

Step 2: Mail your fingerprint card along with the application information form and the fee as listed on the FBI’s website to the FBI CJIS Division – Record Request, 1000 Custer Hollow Road, Clarksburg, WV 26306. You should specifically note that the certificate is for international use and request that the FBI seal be placed on the certificate and that the document be signed by a division official.

Step 3: Once the FBI clearance has be issued, you will then need to arrange for the certificate to be mailed or taken in-person to the State Department’s Office of Authentications in Washington DC for Apostille. If you submit the form by mail, be sure to enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope so it can be mailed back to you or a family member in the States.

General information on why an Apostille is required can also be found on the Department of State’s website.