Emergency Financial Assistance

OCS Trust: Sending money through the Department of State directly to the Embassy

When a U.S. citizen encounters an emergency financial situation abroad, the Department of State’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services (OCS) can establish a trust account in the citizen’s name to forward funds from your friends or family in the States.  OCS will then transfer the money to the U.S. Embassy for disbursement and you can pick up the funds usually the next business day.  The fee for establishing a trust account is $30.  Please note that trust fund transfers are a one time service, except in specific, pre-approved circumstances, and that funds can only be processed during working hours.  Questions can be directed to OCS at 1-888-407-4747.

Commercial Money Transfer

Your friends and family can also transfer funds commercially to Slovenia through Western Union.  Once the funds have been transferred, you can pick up the money at a Western Union’s partner bank in Slovenia.  For instance, if you would like to pick up your funds at the bank closest to the Embassy, the funds should be sent as follows:

(Your Name, exactly as it appears in your passport or ID)
Nova Ljubljanska banka
Trg republike 2
1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia

You can find the locations of other partner banks in Slovenia on the Western Union website.  The sender must provide you with a 10-digit confirmation number that you will need in order to pick up the money.  You should also know the full name and phone number of the person who sent the funds.  Please note that you must present photo identification to collect the money.

What if no one can send me money?

In certain cases, the U.S. Embassy may be able to help a destitute American return home.  However, applicants must meet strict criteria in order to qualify for a repatriation loan, must travel directly back to the States, and must surrender their U.S. passport until they repay the loan. Assistance will not be provided to pay existing debts.