An official website of the United States government

Immigrant Visas: Returning Resident Visa (Green Cards/LPRs)

Replacing a Permanent Resident (“Green”) Card

You can replace or renew an expired Permanent Resident “green” card by filing an I-90.  This is done directly with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) and does not involve the U.S. Embassy.  Please note that while the initial process is done online, you must submit fingerprints when you are in the U.S. to complete the process.  While this is in process, you should be able to travel back to the United States on an expired green card that had a 10-year validity period.  However, if the airline will not board you with an expired card, or your card is lost/stolen, you will need to apply for a boarding foil – see immediately below.

Lost/Stolen Green Card (I-131a – Boarding Foil)

If your Green Card has been lost/stolen and you need to travel to the United States, the Embassy may be able to issue a Boarding Foil.

  • If you have an expired permanent resident card with a 10-year validity period, you do not need a transportation letter/boarding foil. The airline may board you with the expired card, providing you meet all their other conditions for travel.
  • Boarding Foils may be issued only to Permanent Resident Aliens who are returning to the United States after an absence of less than one year; if not, see the section below on SB-1 Returning Resident Visas.

Please contact the Embassy via email LjubljanaVisa@state.gov, providing:

  • alien registration number
  • complete name
  • date and place of birth
  • a scanned copy of pages 1-5 of the completed form I-131A
  • electronic receipt of your on-line payment of the 1-131A fee.  The fee of $575.00 must be paid online prior to your appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Ljubljana. There is no other method of payment.  Be sure to read the instructions before you apply, as the fee is non-refundable.

Once you have sent the above we will schedule an appointment at the Embassy.

At your appointment, bring:

  • your valid passport
  • Form 1-131A, along with payment receipt fee
  • One passport photo – 2”×2” (5×5 cm) against a white background and without glasses.  There are several photo studios close to the Embassy that are familiar with our passport photo requirements.
  • a copy of your departure record from the United States
  • a copy of your return flight reservation
  • a copy of the police report for your lost or stolen Green Card, if applicable
  • Padded A5, self-addressed envelope (podložena kuverta) with 3.00€ in postage so that we can return your passport to you at your residence or a Slovenian post office. Please note that we do not mail passports outside Slovenia.

Boarding foils are issued within one week, provided you come with all the required documents and have paid the filing fee in advance.

You should not leave the United States again until you have applied for and received your new card. You can apply for your replacement card electronically now through the USCIS website.

Abandoning Legal Permanent Resident Status

Individuals who wish to voluntarily record abandonment of their lawful permanent resident (LPR) status must submit Form I-407 “Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status” directly with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) in the United States.

In very rare circumstances, a U.S. embassy may allow an individual to submit a Form I-407 in person if he/she needs immediate proof that he/she has abandoned LPR status. The most common need for an expedited application is to apply for a diplomat (A or G) visa. Individuals may also submit Form I-407 to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer at a U.S. port of entry.