An official website of the United States government

Entering Slovenia

Length of Stay / Passport validity

U.S. citizens must have a valid passport to enter Slovenia, but do not require a visa for tourist or routine business travel of less than 90 days within a 180 day period.  You must obtain a stamp in your passport upon entering the Schengen Area and show it when departing. Note: The 90 day visa-free time-frame starts as soon as you enter the Schengen Zone – a border-less area made up of a number of European countries including Slovenia, Austria, Hungary and Italy.  Once this 90-day ceiling is reached, the traveler must leave the Schengen Zone and remain outside the region for a minimum of 90 days.

Your passport must be valid for at least 90 days beyond your intended departure from the Schengen Zone; we recommend that you have at least six months of validity whenever you travel abroad to avoid unintended travel disruptions.  Foreigners must carry official identification at all times (U.S. passport or a Slovenian residence card).

U.S. Military Personnel

U.S. military personnel need passports to enter Slovenia.

Stays over 90 days

If you wish to stay in Slovenia for longer than 90 days, you will require a long stay “D” visa or a residence permit.

Requirement to Register with Police

All non-EU citizens staying longer than 3 days in Slovenia must register with the local police within 72 hours of arrival.  The police must also be informed of any change in address.  If you stay in a hotel, the hotel management will take care of the registration on your behalf.   If you are staying in a location other than a hotel (such as a private residence, campground, etc.), it is your responsibility to register with the local station. Registration is available 24 hours a day at police stations and is free of charge.  Failure to register can result in a 400€ fine.

Registering with the U.S. Embassy

We strongly urge you to register with the Embassy via the Smart Traveler programso that you will receive email updates on health and safety issues affecting American citizens in Slovenia.

Entering Slovenia by car
If you are driving to Slovenia from Italy, Austria, Croatia, or Hungary, please make sure you stop at the border and purchase a vignette for your car.  Using Slovene highways without a valid and properly-displayed vignette in a vehicle is considered a violation of the law; drivers may be fined between EUR 300 and 800.  For more information, please see our page on