SLOVENIAN UNIVERSITY STUDENTS APPLY NOW – DEADLINE EXTENDED THROUGH MARCH 20, 2020!
Student Application Form – SEI 2020 (PDF 900 KB)
SUMMER ECONOMICS INSTITUTE (SEI) 2020
The Future of Business – Intern and Learn
A Hands-On Experience in Business, Economics & Entrepreneurship for Slovenian Students
What are the highlights of the program?
- Lean Start Up program with a US Professor of Business & Entrepreneurship.
- Overview of business, economics & the entrepreneurship ecosystem in Slovenia through expert lectures and site visits.
- Internship with a top AmCham Slovenia member company.
- A peer-to-peer network with students from different universities and fields of study.
- Seeing what it takes to become an entrepreneur in Slovenia.
- Coming up with an innovative business concept and learning to make a business pitch.
- Learning about possibilities for work, study and research in the USA.
What is SEI?
The 9th Annual Summer Economics Institute (SEI) 2020 aims to give Slovenian university students a US-style hands-on introduction to business and economics in the real world, as well as the tools to create new businesses – the foundation of entrepreneurship.
The SEI 2020 student program is a highly selective program giving 20 students the opportunity to intern with AmCham Slovenia member companies as well as providing students with an overview of business, economics and entrepreneurship organized by the US Embassy Ljubljana through a two week Lean Start Up program with a US Professor of Entrepreneurship plus over 20 targeted seminars, site visits and invited speakers.
Who organizes it?
The program is jointly organized by the US Embassy Ljubljana and AmCham Slovenia. It is funded in part by the US Embassy Ljubljana and in part by AmCham Heroes.
Am I eligible?
The program and internships are open to Slovenian citizens aged 19-28 who are 2nd year and higher undergraduate (dodiplomski) or master’s degree students enrolled in faculties preferably at Slovenian universities.
We actually PREFER students without a background in economics or business. We particularly encourage students in the natural sciences, engineering, math, computer science/IT and medicine to apply, but all faculties are welcome!
Applicants must be
- 2nd year and higher undergraduate (dodiplomski) or Master’s students (up to age 28) in good standing.
- able to read, write and speak English at a high level.
How many people are in the program?
Twenty (20) interns will be selected.
Where does the program take place?
The two-week SEI program will take place in Ljubljana, Slovenia.
Internships will take place at AmCham Slovenia member companies, largely in Ljubljana.
Will I get an internship? Is the internship paid?
Every student will be invited to participate in the SEI 2020 internship. The application form will ask you to specify fields of interest. At the SEI 2020 interview, students will be asked to name up to three AmCham Slovenia member companies where they would like to intern. Although we cannot guarantee an internship at the companies you choose, we will do our best to find you a great match! These internships are paid; companies are advised to pay at least the minimum hourly rate for students.
Do I have to pay for the SEI program?
The two-week SEI program is free for the 20 selected students!
When does the program start?
July 2020 Two-Week Program: US Professor of Entrepreneurship Lean Start Up program and overview of business, economics & the entrepreneurship ecosystem in Slovenia through expert lectures, seminars and site visits.
May-September: Flexible one-month internships with AmCham Slovenia companies (128 hours ~1 month)
What do you need from me?
- Student Application form
- University transcript
- 1 minute video pitch
- Recent photo in .jpg format
Dates & Deadlines
- The application deadline is Friday, March 20, 2020.
- Interviews for top applicants will be held in person or via Skype.
- Students will be notified of acceptance by the end of March 2020.
- Submit applications & all relevant accompanying documents to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Charlotte Taft, US Embassy Ljubljana, email@example.com
- Tonja Avsenik, AmCham Slovenia, firstname.lastname@example.org
AmCham Slovenia Information on SEI 2019: